READ TODAY DCLM Daily Manna 22 October 2019 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – Resting on His Word
TOPIC: Resting On His Word
TEXT: John 4:43-54
43. Now after two days he departed thence, and went into Galilee.
- For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country.
- Then when he was come into Galilee, the Galilaeans received him, having seen all the things that he did at Jerusalem at the feast; for they also went unto the feast.
- So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine. And there was a certain nobleman, whose son was sick at Capernaum.
- When he heard that Jesus was come out of Judaea into Galilee, he went unto him, and besought him that he would come down, and heal his son; for he was at the point of death.
- Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.
- The nobleman saith unto him, Sir, come down ere my child die.
- Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way.
- And as he was now going down, his servants met him, and told him, saying, Thy son liveth.
- Then enquired he of them the hour when he began to amend. And they said unto him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.
- So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in the which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth; and himself believed, and his whole house.
- This is again the second miracle that Jesus did, when he was come out of Judaea into Galilee.
“Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way” – (John 4:50).
DCLM Daily Manna 22 October 2019 MESSAGE:
Years before his death in February 2018, the well-known evangelist, Billy Graham had a TV talk show. He told his agnostic interviewer that he eagerly awaited death because that would transport him into the presence of Jesus, his Lord and Saviour. He went on to explain that his confidence rested on what the Bible says about Christ’s sacrificial death and resurrection. The preacher said his faith was based on nothing else, otherwise he would not be able to boast in the Saviour and obey His word without reservation.
The nobleman in the text also showed great faith by travelling from Capernaum in the southeast of Palestine to meet Jesus in Cana, seeking healing for his son. He did not bring the ailing lad along. He requested the Lord to go with him to his place, where he claimed the boy was “at the point of death”.
DCLM Daily Manna 22 October 2019 – Resting on His Word
Following Jesus means utter submission to Him on His own terms, not ours as the nobleman sought when he pleaded that the Saviour should undertake the trip to meet the sick child in Capernaum. This contrasted with the attitude of the centurion who in Matthew 8:8, forbade the divine Healer from coming to his home but rather asked Him to speak the word. The nobleman got the desired succour for his child when he backed down from imposing conditions on Jesus.
No matter the frantic exertions of man in his quest for solutions to the myriad of challenges confronting him, he will not move a flea-hop near any satisfactory resolution without bowing to the will of God. He must seek answers in his Creator. He must drop the heavy luggage of sin sinking his world. And for the believer, he must lean only on the word of God and unprecedented breakthrough will follow immediately.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Overcome crisis by His word.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 22 October 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.